Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Of uncles, aunts, clear lines, testing jobs and boring weddings!

I dread weddings. After the 'K' soaps on cable TV I think they are the most boring ordeals on earth. God!I dont even want to think about a wedding in those soaps ! Anyway I was asked to apply a couple of days leave this month to attend my cousins wedding and I was left with no other choice but to capitulate.


The first thing I have to brace myself against in any wedding is the army of Kangevaram clad aunts. They mob you, they quiz you, they evaluate you and most importantly they bore you. Every other aunt who comes up looks at me and says "Look at you. You were such a tiny baby playing on my lap. Now you have grown so tall". I had to control myself hard from quipping" Thanks Aunty. But, since the last time I saw you, you have err...grown pretty big yourself !". Arent all babies supposed be tiny when they are babies! Duhhh... Anyway the next embarassing question targetted is "Do you remember who I am?". I have recorded over a period of time that I have only four options as answers. So the next wedding I go to I will make 4 placards and hold them up as applicable.
1. Of course I do! You are mymost favourite aunt ever!
2. Umm..I sorta recall your face, but not your name ( then I will draw a stupid grin next to it)
3. No you are so boring that I chose to forget you.
4. Dont know and dont care.
What a bore!

The next pit stop are uncles. Now uncles are a far superior breed of animals. Not because they are, but they think they are.
"Hmmm..So ur going to do your MBA huh?"
"Yes Uncle"
"In SP Jain is it"
"Yes"
"Information management"
"mmm"
"I know my friend's neighbour's third cousin's dog's ex-owner's step son who went to IIM-A"
"Umm, good for him"
"So, did u hear about X's son" (lowering his voice) "I heard he got a job in testing" ( flashing a condescending sneer)
"No uncle"
"Are you in testing"
"No uncle"
At that point I really wanted to say "Do you even know what testing is? Who put this ridiculous idea in your head that testing is a sad job? Or are you so brilliant that you graduated out of MIT with a PhD in Nuclear Physics? Didnt you write B.Com twice?". But I knew a debate was useless, so I just played along.
"So is your son in testing uncle?"
"No no no!He's not"
"Then what is he into?"
He had no clue for that answer. Only thing he knew was that his son was not in testing. So I saw my opportunity.
"Oh! Then he must be in re-testing!"
"Re-testing! what is that?"
"Oh! thats the role given only to the extremely fundoo and skilled s/w guys."
"Oh! I am sure he is in that then"
What a bore!

The next question I have to brace myself is about my wedding. For time immemorial any wedding I go to, there will be a set of people who go "umm, so when is yours dear? or now is the right age for you.". And with all my cousins getting married they have changed it to "Oh! so your line is clear now!" They spice it up with naughty smiles or a nudge with their elbows or a wink of the eye. Line is clear!!?? God! As though I have been waiting all my life for my cousins to get into wedlock and the moment they do I will run out of the hall, grab the first female I see on the street and say "Hi! I am Sandy and my line is clear now. Will you marry me?".
What a bore!


Now for the ladies, obvioulsy there are endless things to flaunt there. Sarees, bangles, gold chains, ring, silverware, new hairdos, sandals, gifts et all. Now the menfolk just stand here and there, loitering judging the other guys by instinct. But now there is a cure for that as well! No need for guessing. "Show me your mobile phone and I will tell you who you are" is the latest proverb going around. Does it have bluetooth? plays MP3? extendable memory? how may pixcells? N series? blah blah blah...I had dropped my mobile on the road that evening and a car went on it. So it certainly didnt help boosting my image up over there.
What a bore!

Did anyone actually go there to watch the wedding? Wish the bride and groom happy married life? Well i guess such things are way down in the priority list. And if you invite me to your wedding and I dont turn up I guess I dont owe you an expalnation now.

16 comments:

Srini said...

I agree. I have never figured out the reason for frolic in a weddings. Now aunts have also changed. Wearing heavy silk sarees, they grill you on ur job profile. Most of the times it will be "even my son/daughter/ blah blah is working in IT in blah blah company. he earns blah blah every year blah blah..."
There are some uncles who try to instill in you the importance of savings, insurance, BDA sites and ring road traffic etc etc

Except for the food which is seldom excelent, marriages are boring

Smitha.S said...

Haha..super funny blog:))...but i kinda like weddings..weddings r like the time to catch up with cousins and talk all uselss stuff and hog lotsa food:) n hullo! u better attend my wedding...no excuses allowed :)

Sandy said...

@ Smitha
I agree with u! but half my cousins are abroad and already married..and the other half are here and getting married! So an acute shortage of cousins.

and I was traking abt wedding in the family. Friends wedding andre bere adu. Generally coem there, hv fun, cause there will be a whole gang of other pals, oggle at the females, hv sumptous fodd and come back happy:)

and hey if I am still in Blore on June 18th I will def come to it!

@shrini
totally true man! and I guess if ppl r phoren returned like u they will hound u with hazar questions.

bubble said...

thanks dude!!
i was thinking of marrying you.. but...
eehh i don't even owe u an explanation!!

WASA said...

hey dont reply to comments on ur own comments page, how many are going to visit back ur blog's comments page for ur replyy?????????
and marriages are atime to study animal behaviour in humans, both of which sure are bugging like hell.

Sandy said...

@ Vishwas

dude! Thats how blogging is done. Ur welcome for my expert advice ;)

Whencutdeep said...

damn....u beat me to the wedding blog :(

nevertheless this was an uber funny post......the aunts part reminds me of a sad sms i got...."everytime in weddings aunts said ur next.....they stoped sayin tht wen i began doin tht at funerals"!!!

the carreer part poses a greater problem...
unc:hey yenappa doctre...
me: hi..
unc:mbbs aithu....congrats...
me:thanx....(thinks..pls u better stop here!!)
unc:wat nxt....mbbs maadidre yenu scope illa kano....namma pakkada mane shyam avara annana magana friend cousin iddana alva ...avanu foregn return appa...yen duduu maadthano!!!
me:..........blink blink (i hope i faint...or better still y dont he faint and i'll play the good doc!!)
As far as sayin my line is clear goes....whoa....i told my aunt tht i ws looking for an aliiance...she swooned and almost fainted....well y ask if u dont wanna kno alva?!!
cell fone...aiiiyyyoo rama...wat can i say...a modest 1100 made for india...can take call can msg...wat else...and she says...che neevella hudugru style aagi mob illandre...hogo hosa mob togo....(and i was thinkin...hmmm..mayb yeah...just if i dint hav tht bad habit of throwin the mobile from the 3rd floor i possibly cud get one....alva....but i said..parvagilla bidi madhuve aadmele mava kodisthane...alva!!?? wats wrong...she fainted?!?!?!?!!!!)

Anonymous said...

What u say might be okay... But sounds like a whining old nanny who is a victim of the vicious system...... If you feel so strong why dont you list down what you expect your aunts to talk?

Tin Tin said...

The bit about the dog is really inventive! lol! And you should just thank your stars you haven't received the "Oh! S/He's warmed the mane for you" line.. it comes when you ignore the "Line is clear" line.

Anonymous said...

I wish all the uncles and aunties are made to read this blog......

Hey BTW... u can't skip mine...bcos I wont be inviting uncles and aunties...or I'll make them read this blog before they come.... :D

Anonymous said...

hi sandy

my brother got wedded last week.....i swear what u said is so very correct....specially abt the MBA and line clear stuff.....

keep up the gud work n bloggin...its interestin...

puneet

Anonymous said...

Sandeep, i zimply love this blog! Its hillarious and i can very well relate to it. Being a girl, am always bombarded with such quesions and it really bores me! I think you should consider writing for newspapers.

Anonymous said...

The idea is pretty one-sided. You have not seen the positive part of weddings. When ppl get bored in ur wedding wht do u expect them to do?

Sandy said...

Guys!

i totally agree to many of your points that its a place to meet cousins, chat and have fun. I am not trying to write a bolg about the positives elements of a wedding. There are thousands of such points. I jsu tried to write about the boring things. So, obviously it would not ahve made any sense to write about them here.

Thanks for all your comments. Feedback always encourages bloggers to review themselves and come up with better stuff! :)

Sandy said...

@ moody

yeah man! looks like all u guys were well prepared to face the aunty brigade. Venkat (ablove) also suggested teh same thign to me. :D

Anonymous said...

Hey..I was about to write what moody wrote