Tuesday, May 16, 2006

God is real.......unless declared int

A priest goes to a barber for a shave. While shaving the barber says "You know I think there is no God in this world!". A little offended, the preist asks him why. "You see IF there were a God, there wouldnt have been so much pain and suffering in this world". The priest doesnt says anything, pays his bill and moves out. After a cpl of months, the barber sees the priest on the road. He has long tresses and a beard almost upto his chest. And then the priest says "You know, thre are no barbers in this world.". When the bewildered barber asks him the reason the priest says "You see, if there were barbers in this world, I wouldnt have such long beard and unkempt hair". Rubbishing his theory, the barber calls him an idiot. "You didnt go to a barber. Its ur fault. How can u say that there are no barbers in the world!!". The priest smiled at the barber and said "Its the same with God, my friend. He has always been there. You just didnt go to him".

Sounds very nice, doesnt it? But I am sorry to say that I have to go with the barber's logic. If there were a God, there wouldnt have been so much pain and suffering and pain in this world. And if he is there, where is he? or what is he? Why isnt he as obvious as the barber? Firstly is he human like or jst some omnipotent power? If He is some kind of power, it will for sure be one helluva energy form! But if its jst energy then it wouldnt be able to think, judge and make decisions, can it? So he may be human like. If hes human like,God shd be either male or female. But again being one is exclusive of the other and hence God wud not be all powerful. Or is God jst a concept? A manifestation of all the fears and insecurities of man? Or is God so preternatural and inconceivable that he doesnt fall under any known form or image perceived by humans. If so, obviously all interpretations and descriptions made be humans before is totally wrong and gratuitous. So categorizing him under any column would be impeding his other capabilities.

I am a Hindu. I belong to a X caste, Y subcaste and Z community in tht order. I know several ppl who swear by the HXYZ lineage and consider all others who dont fall into that category the absolute scum of the earth. Tht wud pretty much amount to 99.9999% of the world!!! And all HXYZs worship only one God who has taken some particular avataar! They are averse to even to acknowledge the other Avataars of the same God!! So does tht mean the there si a God A->Avataar B who looks after all the followers of HXYZ and there are same God-different avataars or totaly different Gods for any other HABC or HPRQ? And what about ppl who are Muslims or Christian or Jews or Sikhs or Buddhists or anything? Does tht mean one God is different from the other? Or one is more powerful than the other? So if one changes his/her religion from X to Y does God X drop him from his list and doesnt care about his/her wellfare? It all sounds too vague!

When ever I have such a logical arguement with my mom, she snubs me out at the end saying "U wont understand! U shd hv the faith!". So it is a sin to be logical when ur religious? Do i have to blindly accept to facts, ideas and priciples thrust upon me? I never liked math all though my education. Not because I could not do it, because I was doing it without really knowing why or what I was doing. I was told that the differntial of e^x is e^x! I really didnt understand why there was a differential in the first place, where we wud apply it in real life, what 'e' was! what really happens when e^x is differentiated and what consequnce does it lead to if its differential is itself! I was told this and I blindly accpeted, wrote the same in all exams and passed them. I was never fundoo enuf to understand the expanatioan and more importantly the cimplication of each of these concepts. So, I hated math! The same with God! I am unable to fathom all the different concepts behind the faith. I will have to let go of all my doubts and curiosities to believe some fact that originated from humans themselves. But ppl initially thought the world was flat, ppl though tht metal can be turned into gold and ppl were wrong! So, what if I am following a concept really bizzare and baseless, a concept derived by some abstarct thought of some lonely human! Like Dan Brown telling the world that wht they hv been believing tilldate abt Christ is not the truth at all, but ppl hv been following it blindly!

Ppl pride themselves on being religious and God fearing! I have neither pride nor remorse in calling myself an aethist. I believe that there is no religion or God who can tell u anything better than being good and doing good. But if u can help me find my way and disagree with the barber, do let me know what I hv to do!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey aethist, have you read "conversations with god".. well im not imbibing spirituality.. but just helping you and helping myself in figuring out, what the fuck are we doing here ! the book has some good inputs.

Anonymous said...

A snub for you...
http://www.web-books.com/GoodPost/Articles/SeeGod.htm

Anonymous said...

Hmm..U seemed to have been too confused when you wrote this. I too question these things and my mom cuts me. Which is when i started believing in "karma". Do good and good comes back to you. Not that I do not pray infront of an idol. I do. However, when I close my eyes, it doesn't matter to me which idol I'am praying to. That's me. And i always question the ones who keep forcing me to pray only to a single God. Am as confused as you are. Help me understand if someone makes u understand.

bubble said...

man! thts something we can all relate with.. no wonder that i am as ignorant as you on this. But after i gave a thought to this, I felt that probably why to we need to give our belief and faith a physical/abstract form. There is probably no way to figure out the why and how and who of things.. live and learn and confuse urself each day.... hooh!!

Anonymous said...

though i don't hate maths rather i love it i m one with u as far as the concept of god goes.....i myself has been a blind god fearing religous fellow..b'coz dat's what my parents taught me to be but when i ws in class 12 i came across Vipassana meditation dat changed my prospective towards life and god.....now i firmly believe in the theory of Karma and the cycle of birth and rebirth.....
nice right up any ways..well put up...puneet

Smitha.S said...

As always, the mom is right :).There is NO way to prove or disprove the existance of God...its all about having faith thatsal!..I personally think that God was initially created as a means of providing solace n comfort to troubled minds...more in the lines of a psycaterists couch..all the caste bakwaas is ob stupid

ferret said...

hey sandy, as usual, nice writing!

@ramp: hey how long can you keep taking the shortcut, its worth the effort sometimes to actually try n derive d/dx(e^x). and at the end of the effort you might end up with an answer that is different from e^x afterall.

Sandy said...

@ Lamp
John Galt! kewl info man. dint know tht. and i think u hv given me teh most agrreeable answer to my question yesterday. :)

@Ravi
Heard abt the book pal..will surely read it sumtime

@Dexter
Cool link man! u gv me the most "hatke" comments

@Puneet
gr8 to know tht ur a firm believer man. And I surely dont dent the power of meditation and pranayama.

@Medha
hm..we are in the same boat, arent we?

@Smitha
Totally agree wid ur point

@patiencekills
loved the line "live and learn and confuse urself each day"

@fridi
Guess shd hv said "same pinch" after u read this blog :)

Whencutdeep said...

faith the quintessential of human life...the source of their greatest strength and their greatest weakness!! :D

Anonymous said...

So God Says
"I refuse to prove my existance.. cause proof denies faith and without faith i am nothing"

- Morgoth

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.
But looks like the Invisible Pink Unicorn doesn't want me to subscribe to your RSS feed ;-)
Any idea why http://rock-shasa.blogspot.com/atom.xml gives me an error ?

Swaroop Bhushan said...

I can give some more of those well worn fables where clever godmen show how God could be experienced. Or at the risk of sound atheistic could say God is in nature, and all around. Or let me just ask you to ponder a basic concept.
Let's say God is the creator of life (Most religions/faiths might accept this). For life to exist, the smallest 'living' entities are known to contain a minimum number of proteins strung on a chain. But recall that even those proteins were carefully sewn together by the immaculate handiwork of RNA's like Messenger-RNA and Transfer-RNA. While the m-RNA acts as the string for the proteins, the t-RNA actually runs around "fetching" the required amino acid to be sewn next on the chain. So does the t-RNA have intelligence then? They are phosphate molecules. It's chemistry, physics and precise mathematics at work. That's God enough for me :)

Anonymous said...

I would rather percieve reality as we see it as a manifestation of a vibration. Call us a ripple in a medium if you would. I said ripple.

WASA said...

theres too much to say, i'll blog abt it later