Thursday, April 27, 2006

Singer or thinker?

I finish playing my badminton for the day. Head back home. Switch on my Creative Zen and clamp the earbuds. James Hetfield blares into my ears. I sing along.

On a long and lonesome highway east of omaha
You can listen to the engines moaning out as one note song
You think about the woman or the girl you knew the night before

But your thoughts will soon be wandering the way they always do
When you’re riding sixteen hours and there’s nothing much to do
And you don’t feel much like riding, you just wish the trip was through
Only if I had playedthe drop shot more delicately
Damn! I always get screwed at the net.
Next time I should try to push it back to the backhand corner...

Wait! what happened to the song I was singing??!! Too late....Hetfield has made way for Jimmy Page now and I am sure that I cant sing along with him as well. This has been my issue for a long time now. I can never complete a song in my head. My mind wanders too quickly and too wide. From drop shots to cost accounting, from Ice Age 2 to the pretty girl in my floor, from what I would do to my sworn enemies to why I like apple juice. Its like an endless and senseless chain.

I often go to one of my friends home and I dunno why most of the times I go when he is taking a shower. And he would be crooning so loudly that people down four streets can listen. One song after another, he finishes with the utmost ease. Does it mean that he has switched it off upstairs? Or he can sing and be with Jane Goodall at the same time? I definitely cant. The only sound you can hear when I am in the shower is the water hitting the floor. Sigh! There goes my singing career!

When all his brothers are lying dead at the Enchanted pool, Yudhishtira is asked by the Yaksha

Oh Kuntiputra, kimsvidccheghrataram vayoh
kimsvidgurutaram bhumeh
kimsviduccataram ca khat
kimsvidccheghrataram vayoh
kimsvidbahutaram trnat

( Oh Son of Kunti, What is weightier than earth?
What is taller than the sky?
what is that which is fleeter than the wind?
What is more numerous than grass?)

And to that Yudhishtira replies,

Mata gurutara bhumeh
Ktatpitoccatarastatha
Manahshighrataram vata
Ccinta bahutari trnat

( A mother is heavier than the earth,
A father is taller than the sky
The human mind is fleeter than the wind
And thoughts are more in number than the grass)


How true! So who are you? A singer or a thinker?

9 comments:

Smitha.S said...

Was wondering why you had suddenly started to talk about yudishtra..cool linkage tht :)..

Balajee said...

Try hiphop dude. You won't let your thoughts wander for you won't have time to do that.

Anonymous said...

wandering...primitive
singing.....evolution
werd linkage i hav ritten here...but i guess i'm just the idiot i always was...

Anonymous said...

i have fallen in love with the way u write!! keep blogging!! me njoi it lots!

Anonymous said...

I liked it.a nice combination of stuff and style.

Balakumar said...

Wandering thoughts make staring into nothingness a pleasure!

I have the same problem when I listen to songs. I know the tune of most songs I like, but hardly ever know the lyrics beyond the first 1 or 2 lines. I try to listen, but am lost in thought after a couple lines! :)

Nice - you still remember your Sanskrit!

Good post pal!

Sandy said...

hmm..agree wid u guys tht evn I dont know the lyrics of many songs..but I am talking abt those which I know well

Anonymous said...

I read and read and ur blog was wow
You are good and you are the guru

Sandy said...

@anonymous!

Thanks..but I wud be glad if u put ur name :)