Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A 15 minute Nirvana!

Its evening. The world has turned into a shade of light orange. The electricity in the air is palpable. The wind which was gentle now picks up speed. The clothes hung on the neighbour's roof flutter wildly, wanting to break free. The birds start chirping excitedly. The old newspaper man on the road quickens his pace. I rush to the balcony, leaving behind the book in my hand. The wind chime in our balcony breaks into an oriental serenade. A stray plastic cover on the road silently rises in respose. Like an expert dancer who glides effortlessly across the stage . It moves, sways and prances around gleefully, beyond the reach of the excited dog below. Then then after a while, as though it felt bored, it silently settles down on the street. A few leaves now takover the stage. Not elegant ballet girls, but like the new breed of energetic vibrant dancers. they wildly chase each other in circles ans rise higher with alacrity. Yes! its going to rain now.

I strech my hand out to feel the drops. Nothing yet. But I hear the thunder. And then comes the flash of lightning brightening the dull facades around. The wind picks up speed. And then it starts. Tiny aimless drops at first. Sporadic and quick they are signs enough for the dog to get up and take shelter below the stairs. The smell of wet earth is intoxicating. I try to gulp as much air I can before my lungs would burst. And now the drops get bigger, gathering momentum as they come down. Its pouring now. Everytime it rains I try to listen to the different sounds the water makes. The chatter on the window panes, the hissing on the hot tin roofs, the splatter on the narrow steel railings, the babble in the gutter. Nature has music. We just dont have the time to appriciate it.

The water is rushing down the street now. From every staircase, every tree, every nook and corner water gushes out. A rapid stream is formed on the street. The leaves and the cover are no more to be seen now. I wonder about the rains in the mountains. Our Lives are so much like the water which flows down them. When we are born, we are like those tiny drops ...innocent and beautiful. And then we grow up like those wild rivulets, fast, energetic and making new paths. Then when we develop like the rivers on the plains, slow, huge, focussed and life sustaining. And then we fade into oblivion like the rivers joining the endless oceans. And then, I dont know, maybe, grow into the tiny droplets and rain on the mountains again.

I cant contain my excitement anymore. I rush up to the terrace. I spread my arms and rise my head to the sky. The water hits my face hard. Almost like a splinter. IT cant see anythig through my glsses now. I can feel it running down my neck, my back, my legs. I shiver for a moment in the cold.,but then the water soothes me. I feel purged, I feel fresh, I feel...alive! The rain has thinned down now. I slowly walk down the stairs. The water droplets are glistening like tiny pearls at the tips of the leaves. The trees seem to be smiling. People are slowly moving back onto the road. The lazy dog however prefers to stay on the cozy rag below the stairs. My mom yells out that coffee is ready. I give a huge sigh and walk down the stairs.

Its a beautiful world. :)

11 comments:

Smitha.S said...

A very refreshing blog :)...n its got a very 'literary' feel to it....the first few lines had me thinking that i was reading a O'Henry Book :)

bubble said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bubble said...

I can feel trhe rain,
The wind is blowing hard
The smell of moisture in the sand and the wet bard

bubble said...

wow u rock

Anonymous said...

dude !
amazing imagery!
next time it rains, guess who's getting soaked ;)
-K(chorry, havent got an id yet :D )

Anonymous said...

nice write up bud....sorta reminds me of the days gone by(i seem like an old timer writin tht...but heellll yeah all of us hav a few days gone by!!)
Somethngs v lose and somethings v gain....as the water...
v pick up things as we go thru the course of life...some good some bad...but more often than not its good and a rough wind is cut down to a pleasant breeze...
cheers!!
more of this stuff for me!!!

Swaroop Bhushan said...

Simply beautiful Sandy. Your comparison so borders on the metaphysical..the energy of the passage broke out as a reverie, and revved up like a stallion, and calmed down after the crescendo. Waiting for the next in this series (hopefully? ;) )

Sandy said...

hmm...I jst luv the rains pal...make me happy :)

Balajee said...

Too good. But unfortunately in Indiranagar, we only get see the ugly part of rain. Come to our place during rains and you can write a demoniac verison of the same blog. "My mom yells out that coffee is ready"..yes we are coming!

Anonymous said...

simply the best sandy

Anonymous said...

At your charismatic best..Supereb post dude..i almost felt the rain drops on my face reading it..Thanks for 2 minutes of heaven..