Friday, April 07, 2006

Mah all time fav poem!

Invictus

by William Ernest Henley; 1849-1903


Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate;

I am the captain of my soul.


Trivia: this was the last words of the Oklahoma bomber, Timothy McVein before his execution. What a travesty!


4 comments:

Swaroop Bhushan said...

I thought that guy was called McVeigh...but who knows... these Irish are strange..anyway, I love that poem too.

bubble said...

Wish i could write such a poem as my blog... unbrokrd spirits are a rare treasure!!
dude!!

Sandy said...

@ Swaroop

I ma not sure Dude..It might be McVeigh as well.

@ Sauraja
Dude! If any of us could write stuff like this, we wouldnt be suffering the Linux core team!

Anonymous said...

First things first Sandy....this is simply the best blog i have ever come across........i am completely blown away by the genuine content you have shared here.......
You own an AWESOME writing skill......be it your experiances in Germany, be it your mails...or be it your blog.....great work Sandy.............

Hemaraj