Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The road less travelled...

I sling my bag over my shoulder and put on my headphones. Its time to go back to the hostel. I switch on my Creative and Floyd comes out to soothe my mind. My mind is like a cat on a hot tin roof. It moves around too much, it jumps places, it comes out with some serious shit that time and again takes me by surprise. So, i need Floyd. Music and badminton, I think are the only two things that ease my mind.

I am deviating! My mind, of course, is not what this blog is about. Its about me going back to my hostel. Now the walk from my college to the hostel is about 5 minutes, done at a leisurely pace. It was around 10 in the evening.I started walking alone. Its a simple straight road. Paved for some distance it has a college on one side and a temple on the other. I always make it a point to look at the temple while walking through. Not that I am religious, but its become a part of the walk ,which I have to make twice. Hoping, maybe someday I will find the reason why I keep looking at it. The paved road opens into a mud road lined by a beautiful lake on the right. I have always felt that water, in any form looks more beautiful under the starts. Trees on either side of the road give it a quaint elegance that makes the walk that much more enjoyable. It is the road I take everyday, but never stop to just stand and admire. Isnt so many things in life like that. Things and people that are an integral part of our daily life are taken for granted cause they are always there everyday in the same place. But no! Today I decided to stop and watch from a corner. To just watch time make it way across the lonely stretch of earth. To stop and feel the mundane part of my life, to connect all the thoughts and feelings the road has helped me through. Its not retrospection. Its just connecting with something that is a part of you and acknowledging it. In a years time I will be out of SP and the stretch will no longer be a part of my life. I know it.So I just tried to absorb the feeling, standing in the dark, staring at the water and just letting things be.

The path then leads to an huge open stretch of land. Just at the beginning, is a thatched house with people I have never bothered to see. What I do see every time though, is the pack of dogs that lie on the road. Lazy bastards who think twice to even move when a car comes along honking like there is no tomorrow. They are like the missing pieces that complete the picture. I have always enjoyed walking in this stretch cause it sort of changes the canvas suddenly. There you are walking along a narrow stretch of land bound by trees and barbed wire and suddenly the world opens up into this vast nothing. The wind is more welcoming here and it gives you a pleasant feeling of having reached home.

This might sound like a stupid description of a stupid walk through a stupid road. But to me, it gives joy beyond what a common intellect can fathom. Isn't life but a concoction of such small joys and sorrows that everybody holds close to their hearts?

Floyd has made way for Moby who is singing One of these mornings. I walk up to my room with a smile on my face.

4 comments:

Puneet said...

The road less travelled....is it or the road most travelled..atleast twice everyday without fail since last 1 year...its the prospective that differs my friend and u put it forward in the best way one could.....
its the same road, same wood, trees and the lake. we rush by it every morning n evening with total indifference to these elements of nature. Glad to read dat u r not 1 of us. Glad to know that u still sensitive to nature.Glad to know dat u can find and njoi these small joys that constitutes life with all its other connotations. Keep it up!!
Its ur writting dat makes it more interesting to read.
cheers to u and our stay @ SP
puneet

Unknown said...

Elegant description.. it's funny how the road from my home to college now is also the same...quaint road, tree-lined...instead a temple, there's a beautiful old but well maintained church on the side..

i think there must be a connection why university paths are made like this.

Smitha.S said...

Super Blog!..Like this the best among all ur blogs..Theres sumthing bt taking time to appreciate the 'taken for granted' things in life...May u always find time to do tht :)

Whencutdeep said...

I'm here not because of the path that lies ahead of me but i'm here because of the path that lies behind me............the matrix!
more often than not we take many things for granted...often obliterating small joys with thots, overwhelming ideas and an persistant query of the purpose of life....its only when v slow down we often see more than v thot v cud ever see...feel more than wat v hav felt....
perhaps we all need 2 slow down a bit look around and enjoy wats there and wat has bin an integral part of our life....never mind the rantings of an old fool... ;)
As always well ritten...sooooper maga!
cheers